Dr.Dennis P. Burkitt, a noted British physician remarks, ” Grain roughages, such as rich bran and wheat bran, are an essential part of a healthy diet, and a preventive against diseases like piles, constipation, bowel cancer, varicose veins and even coronary thrombosis.
” Dr. Burkitt worked for many years in Africa and found after a series of observations that rural Africans who eat bulk of fibrous foods rarely suffer from any of these diseases.
- Bran, the outer coverings of grains, is one of the richest sources of dietary fibre. And it contains several types of fibre including cellulose, hermicellulose and pectin.
- Wheat and corn bran are highly beneficial in relieving constipation.
- Experiments show that oat bran can reduce cholesterol levels substantially. Corn bran is considered more versatile.
- It relieves constipation and also lowers LDL cholesterol, which is one of the more harmful kinds.
- Besides being rich in fibre, bran has a real food value being rich in time, iron and vitamins and containing a considerable amount of protein.
- Legumes have high fibre content. Much of this fibre is water- soluble, which makes legumes likely agents for lowering cholesterol.
- Soyabeans, besides this, can also help control glucose levels.
CATHERINE SHALINI RAJA
CARDIO RESPIRATORY PHYSCIAL THERAPIST
FITNESS & SPORTS REHABILITATION SPECIALIST