- Iron is an important mineral which enters into the vital activity of the blood and glands.
- Iron exists chiefly as haemoglobin in the blood. It distributes the oxygen inhaled into the lungs to all the cells.
- It is the master mineral which creates warms, vitality and stamina. It is required for the healthy complexion and for building up resistance in the body.
- The chief sources of iron are grapes, raisins, spinach, all green vegetables, whole grain, cereals, dried beans, dark coloured fruits, beets, dates, liver and egg yolk.
- The Indian Council of Medical Research has recommended an allowance of 20 to 30 mg. of iron in a balanced diet for an adult.Iron deficiency is generally caused by severe blood loss,malnutrition, infections and by excessive use of drugs and chemicals.
- Deficiency of dietary iron may cause nutritional-anemia, lowered resistance to disease, a general run down condition, pale complexion, shortness of breath on manual exertion and loss of interest in sex.
- Iron is the classic remedy for anemia. However, there are several forms of anemia, and iron deficiency anemia is only one.
- If one is taking iron pills due to insufficient intake of iron in the normal diet, one should also take atleast 40 mg. of folic acid or folate every day, along with 10 to 25 mg. of vitamin B12.
- Both these vitamins are essential in building healthy blood cells.
CATHERINE SHALINI RAJA
CARDIO RESPIRATORY PHYSICAL THERAPIST
FITNESS & SPORTS REHABILITATION SPECIALIST.