- The human body is composed of various organs and parts, which are made up of tissues and cells. These tissues and cells are composed of 16 chemical elements.
- The balance or equilibrium of these chemical elements in the body is an essential factor in the maintenance of health and healing of disease.
- The acid-alkaline balance plays a vital role in this balanced body chemistry.
- All foods, after digestion and absorption leave either an acid or alkaline ash in the body depending on their mineral composition.
- The normal body chemistry is approximately 20 per cent acid and 80 per cent alkaline.
- This is the acid-alkaline balance. In normal health, the reaction of the blood is alkaline and that is essential for our physical and mental well-being.
- Whenever the alkalinity of the blood is reduced, even slightly, its ability to transport the carbon dioxide gets reduced.
- This results in the accumulation of acid in the tissues. This condition is known as acidosis or hypo-alkalinity of the blood. Its symptoms are hunger, indigestion, burning sensation and pain in the pharynx, nausea, vomiting, headache, various nervous disorders and drowsiness.
- Acidosis is the breeding ground for most diseases. Nephritis or Bright’s disease, rheumatism, premature old age, arteriosclerosis, high blood pressure, skin disorders and various degenerative diseases are traceable to this condition.
- It seriously interferes with the functions of the glands and organs of the body. It also lowers the vitality of the system, thereby increasing the danger of infectious diseases.
- The main cause of acidosis or hypo-alkalinity of the blood is faulty diet, in which too many acid forming foods have been consumed.
- In the normal process of metabolism or converting the food into energy by the body,. various acids are formed in the system and in addition, other acids are introduced in food.
- Whenever there is substantial increase in the formation of acids in the system and these acids are not properly eliminated through the lungs, the kidneys and the bowels , the alkalinity of the blood is reduced, resulting in acidosis.
IN PART 2, ALKALINE FOOD LISTS AND THEIR USES WILL BE POSTED.