Acidosis can be prevented by maintaining a proper ratio between acid and alkaline foods in the diet.
Certain foods leave alkaline ash and help in maintaining the alkalinity of the food, while others leave highly acid ash and lower the alkali reserve of the blood and tissue fluids to a very large extent.
- Eggs do the same but less strongly than meats. Cereals of all kinds, including all sorts of breads are also acid-forming foods , though much less than meats.
- All fruits, with exceptions like plums and prunes and all green and root vegetables are highly alkaline foods and help to alkalize the blood and other tissue fluids.
- our daily diet should consist of four-fifth of alkaline-forming foods such as juicy fruits,tubers, legumes, ripe fruits, leafy and root vegetables and one fifty of acid-forming foods.
- containing concentrated proteins and starches such as meat, fish, bread and cereals.
- Eating sensibly in this manner will ensure the necessary alkalinity of the food which will keep the body in perfect health.
- Whenever a person has acidosis, the higher the ratio of alkaline forming foods in his diet, the quicker will be the recovery. Acids are neutralized by alkalies.
- Persons suffering from various ailments are given adequate alkaline ash foods to offset the effects of acid-forming foods and leave a safe margin of alkalinity.
- The most agreeable and convenient means of alkalizing the blood are citrus fruits and fruit juices.
- The alkalizing value of citrus fruits are due to large percentage of alkaline salts, mainly potash, which they contain.
- Each pint of orange juice contains 12 grains of potassium, one of the most potent of alkali. Lemon juice contains nine grains of the alkali to the pint and grape seven grains.
A – Foods Leaving An Acid Ash
- Barley Eggs
- Bananas (unripe)
- Grain Foods
- Bread Meats
- Cereals Nuts except almonds
- Confections Rice
- Chorolate Sea Foods
- Coffee Tea
B – Foods Leaving An Alkaline Ash
( Four-fifths class )
- Banana (ripe)
- Cottage Cheese
- Figs ( Fresh and Dry)
CATHERINE SHALINI RAJA
CARDIO RESPIRATORY PHYSICAL THERAPIST
FITNESS & SPORTS REHABILITATION SPECIALIST.