Selenium and vitamin E are synergistic and the two together are stronger than the sum of the equal parts.
- Selenium slows down ageing and hardening of tissues through oxidation. Males seem to have a greater need for this mineral.
- Nearly half of the total supply in the body is concentrated in the testicles and in the seminal ducts adjacent to the prostate gland.
- Selenium is useful in keeping youthful elasticity in tissues. It alleviates hot flushes and menopausal distress.
- It also helps in the prevention and treatment of dandruff.
- This mineral is found in Brewer’s yeast, garlic,onions, tomatoes, eggs, milk and sea food.
- There is no official dietary allowance for Selenium but, 50 to 100 mcg. is considered adequate.
- Deficiency of this mineral can cause premature loss of stamina.
CATHERINE SHALINI RAJA
CARDIO RESPIRATORY PHYSICAL THERAPIST
FITNESS & SPORTS REHABILITATION SPECIALIST.