Vitamin C or Ascorbic acid is essential for normal growth and the maintenance of practically all the body tissues, especially those of the joints, bones, teeth, and gums.
- It protects one against infections and acts as a harmless antibiotic.
- It promotes healing and serves as protection against all forms of stress and harmful effects of toxic chemicals.
- It helps prevent and cure the common cold. It also helps in decreasing blood cholesterol.
- This vitamin is found in citrus fruits, berries, green and leafy vegetables, tomatoes, potatoes, sprouted Bengal and green grams, A deficiency can cause scurvy marked by weakness, anemia, bleeding gums and painful and swollen parts, slow healing of sores and wounds, premature ageing and lowered resistance to all infections.
- The recommended daily allowance is 50 to 75 mg. for adults and 30 to 50 mg. for children.Smokers and older persons have greater need for vitamin C.
- It is used therapeutically in huge doses from 100 to 10,000mg. a day.
- It prevents and cures colds and infections effectively, neutralises various toxins in the system, speeds healing processes in virtually all cases of ill health, increases sexual vitality and prevents premature ageing.
- According to Dr. Linus Pauling, a world famous chemist and nutrition expert, ” because vitamin C is one of the least toxic vitamins, it is very safe to use in high doses.
- ” Your body will take exactly what it needs and excrete any excess naturally.”
CATHERINE SHALINI RAJA
CARDIO RESPIRATORY PHYSICAL THERAPIST
FITNESS & SPORTS REHABILITATION SPECIALIST.