Vitamin B3 or niacin or nicotinic acid is essential for proper circulation, healthy functioning of the nervous system and proper protein and carbohydrate metabolism.
- It is essential for synthesis of sex hormones, cartisone, thyroxin and insulin.
- It is contained in liver, fish, poultry, peanut, whole wheat,green leafy vegetables, dates, figs, prunes and tomato.
- A deficiency can lead to skin eruptions, frequent stools, mental depression, insomnia, chronic headaches, digestives disorders and anemia.
- The recommended daily allowance is 12 to 20 mg. for adults and 4.8 to 12 mg. for children.
- Large doses of this vitamin say upto 100 mg. with each meal, preferably together with other.
- B group vitamins, affords relief in case of migraine and high blood pressure caused by nervousness, high cholesterol and arteriosclerosis.
CATHERINE SHALINI RAJA
CARDIO RESPIRATORY PHYSICAL THERAPIST
FITNESS & SPORTS REHABILITATION SPECIALIST.